Soft Rime Frost = Magic

January 28, 2010 · 16 comments

Take some of this…

hoar_frost

… and add some of this, well-chilled.

hoar_frost

Stand back…

hoar_frost

Then grab your camera, and start out on your belly on your living room floor with the door to the side deck open, and marvel over “Old Lilac Tree, Revisited.”

hoar-frost

Gasp.

Run outside in your slippers and sweatshirt. Open your eyes. And start shooting.

hoar-frost

hoar-frost

hoar-frost

hoar-frost

Realize you are now standing on top of the snow plow pile in your slippers and sweatshirt. No gloves. No hat.

You can no longer feel the fingers in your left hand.

RUN!! Back into the house. Get real boots, hat, and Michelin-man fleecy on. RUN! Back out to shoot on the other side of the snow pile.

Still no gloves.

hoar-frost

Understand there is more to life than gloves. And feeling in your fingers.

hoar-frost

Gasp again.

hoar-frost

Almost pass out from holding your breath. Thank God for beauty and your D90.

hoar-frost

Resume breathing.

hoar-frost

Visit next-door neighbor’s pond.

Re-freak.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Honey June 10, 2016 at 1:03 am

At last, sonmoee who comes to the heart of it all

Teresa November 26, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Absolutely breathtaking!!! Would you mind if i tried to paint from your shots? Don’t know if that’s even possible, but would love to try.

Really enjoying your writing, humorous and serious, and love the art work and photos, too. Thanks for sharing. Teresa

rickandkathy November 27, 2010 at 9:49 am

Teresa, thanks for your very kind words! Please… feel free to paint from anything that excites your muse! Just be sure to share it with us when you’re ready.

Teresa November 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Thanks so much. We’ll see about the “sharing when ready” part! Depends on the out-come, doesn’t it! : )

Pamela January 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Hoar Frost! I never knew it had a name, but it is gorgeous! It reminds me of looking out of my aunt and uncle’s living room which was south facing and on the second floor their home looking out into the trees. About once a year in South Carolina winters the rain freezes on everything like the hoar frost except that it is clear instead of white. After the clouds clear, the ice covered trees are back lit by the sun creating a glittering crystal forest.
Since it only happens once a year there, school is off for the days it takes everything to melt. I associate snow and this freezing rain with a delightful spontaneous holiday since I was a kid when I lived there.
So, I hope you continue to enjoy your spontaneous holiday!

Sue January 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

Makes me miss Mexico! 🙂

Stu January 29, 2010 at 7:32 am

What great photos. I agree with Sandi that you should start a book on the “Jamison Farmhouse Wonderland”.

Rick January 29, 2010 at 8:39 am

Truly an amazing sight to wake up to. The view from the guestroom window was like Dorothy opening the door to Technicolor. We snapped enough photos yesterday alone to fill a book — and the hoar frost returned again this morning. What a blessing it is to be here.

Charlie January 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm

So frickin jealous you are there – would love to crawl on the floor too – where the H–L is my camera – I wanna play! Can I steal some of those to dabble with in watercolour?

Miss you both. You make me happy.

rickandkathy January 29, 2010 at 8:29 am

Charlie! Wish you were here too!
Absolutely: use whatever images you want! We have another whole set of photos from yesterday that we’ll post in a day or two: so much beauty, so little attention span of readers! 🙂

Sandi Fentiman January 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm

beautiful scenery; you could start a book on “Jamison Farmhouse Wonderland.” Thanks.

rickandkathy January 29, 2010 at 8:30 am

Thanks, Sandi! Who knows about that book? Every time we turn around, one of us is hollering, “Quick! Get the camera!”