On Spontaneous Interior Decorating

March 31, 2010 · 9 comments

Hey, Kath… Whatcha doin’?

Well, I was going to take a shower.*

But then I realized, I just can’t take these fish anymore.

It looked like it would all come off in one piece.

Not so much.

I’m out of counter top. Can you reach if you stand in the tub?

That’s exactly the piece I thought would just zip off cleanly, the way the edges are already pulling away from the wall… Bummer. I hate it when that happens.

There’s got to be a product that will help get the rest of the backing off, right? Shall I get the bread scraper?

Bye bye, fishies.

Hey Rick… will you hand me the screwdriver, please?

* Yes, that is a stuffed monkey hanging off our laundry closet door. What? Where do you keep yours?

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Jean April 2, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Spray the backing from the wallpaper with hot water and a little fabric softener. Let it sit for a few minutes and it should come off pretty easy. For the tile try the Mr. Clean sponges. I know it sounds funny but they work on so many surfaces that you wouldn’t think of.

Good luck.

rickandkathy April 2, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Got it.

Add to shopping list: Mr. Clean sponges. Fabric softener. Rubber gloves. Jean.

Susan Bruner April 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Just spent three weeks renovating a bathroom for a client. If you think wallpaper is bad…imagine removing grout that has dried on white subway tiles for three days. The instructions said to wipe after 5-6 hours to remove the haze( it was too wet to wipe any earlier). They failed to mention that the “haze” would now be like glue and about 1/16″ thick. I have spent at least 9 hours standing on a piece of wood over the tub with a rough sponge and a ton of elbow grease. It is coming off, slowly but surely and I am almost done. The acid product recommended for the removal isn’t anymore effective. Maybe I could borrow your bread scraper if you won’t be using it for wallpaper??

rickandkathy April 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Poor thing! Of course you can borrow the bread scraper. In fact, keep it. It’s a gift. And know this: blood will return to your fingers. Eventually.

Susan Bruner April 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Hmmm ….fingers still white…seeing red…does that count??? LOL

Dushka March 31, 2010 at 6:26 pm

YES. How many times have I woken up my husband in the middle of the night with the noise of dragging furniture?

Many times.

rickandkathy March 31, 2010 at 6:46 pm

We didn’t know, but now that you mention it, how could we have NOT known?

Debra March 31, 2010 at 11:44 am

There is a wonderful liquid product that you sponge on the wallpaper, or reminance…wait about a minute or two and wipe off! It really is that simple! I did a whole kitchen with the miracle stuff ad I think I got it at HomeDepot eons ago! Good Luck!

rickandkathy March 31, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Excellent!!! So… I can forget about the bread scraper then…